Position posted on Monday, May 4, 2020
Job Title: School Safety Specialist
Reports To: Director of School Safety (works under building level administrator)
Terms: Full-time contract
- 184 days per contract year
Work Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
Primary focus each day will be to provide school safety services to Options Charter Schools at Growing Minds Educational Services. Growing Minds Educational Services has locations in Ft. Wayne and Columbia City. These duties include but are not limited to building positive relationships with students and families, maintaining physical security, assisting the Director of School Safety with the development and implementation of emergency plans, assisting the school administration in creating and maintaining a safe and secure school climate, and to provide other related duties as assigned by the administration. Learn more about Growing Minds Educational Services: http://www.growingmindsllc.com/
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Establish and maintain rapport with students.
- Influence positive student relations through strong relationship building with students and families.
- Serve as a positive role model for students.
- Support administrators, as requested, when student disciplinary issues arise.
- Exercise Options Charter Schools’ emergency preparedness plans as appropriate.
- Work with building administrators as they interpret students’ Individualized Service Plans (ISP) and Individualized Educational Plans (IEP) as they relate to appropriate consequences for aberrant behavior.
- Operate installed Options Charter Schools’ software necessary to complete assigned responsibilities.
- Abide by Options Charter School Board policies and Options’ administrative policies, regulations and procedures.
To hold and perform this job successfully the candidate must be able to:
- Secure and maintain all licenses, certifications and training
- Perform each essential duty with satisfaction
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- At least 21 years of age
- Have earned a minimum of a high school diploma. A secondary degree and/or experience in the military or law enforcement is preferred.
- Complete psychological assessment during hiring process
- No prolonged, extreme physical demands are associated with normal duties or assignments, but the SSS may exert strenuous physical effort during emergency situations. The SSS must perform duties and take appropriate action in emergency situations, despite the stress associated with potential injury or loss of life to self or others.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.